Get to know Ellie Greenwood
- Birth Date:
14 March 1979
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
North Vancouver, BC
- Primary Race Distance:
Anything from 50km to 100 miles
- Other hobbies or sports:
Skiing, snowshoeing, travel, writing about running!
- What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the [ trail, hill, on long runs]?
Geist jacket or effusion jacket for colder days. Fairhavens are my go to shoe for everyday runs.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
Through Club Fat Ass in Vancouver, a low key group who are all about having fun on the trails.
- What inspires you?
Pushing myself to be the best runner I can possibly be, setting new challenge in terms of distances, terrain and speed. My Montrail team mates!
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
Krissy Moehl for having been involved in ultra running for so long at such a great level. Lizzy Hawker for her wide ranging achievements and always pushing herself to the next level.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Find some buddies to share the trails with and go have fun. Don’t be afraid to ask more experienced trail and ultra runners for advice. Set some goals that will challenge you but work you way up gradually so as to not overwhelm yourself before you are ready for longer and tougher races.
- What’s your favorite pre race meal?
Going to Wholefoods or a similar grocery store and hitting the salad bar with some pasta and lots of veggies, quick and easy and something you can pick up in most race locations.
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Having a cup of tea! A great way to rehydrate with a little buzz of caffeine and warms you up after a cold run.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I am efficient with my time and will work through lunch so I can get out on time to train. Plan my training schedule at the start of the week and stick to it as if it’s an appointment. Train right after work otherwise I end up procrastinating which only makes getting out the door harder!
- Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Not really, I try to stay low key as rituals can just add to the stress and pre-race nerves
- In 10 years I hope to be…
Content with wherever I am at and surrounded by friends and family.
- Six-word bio:
Work hard, run hard, have fun.
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
I will NEVER sing karaoke, I REALLY can’t sing
- What music gets you fired up?
Pearl Jam at full volume on my iPod for the last 5 minutes in the treadmill.
- Western States 100 miler – 1st place female June 2011
- IAU World 100km – 1st place female Nov 2010 (Gibraltar)
- Canadian Death Race – 1st place female August 2010 (Grande Cache, AB)
Other Notable Achievements:
- Female Ultrarunner of the Year 2011 (voted by Ultrarunning magazine)
- Chuckanut 50km
- Canadian Death Race 125km
- Kneeknackering North Shore Trail Run 30miler
- Run for the Toad 50km
- Calgary Marathon
- Edmonton Marathon
- Stormy 50 miler
- Powderface 42km
- Elk Beaver 100km
Catch Up With Ellie On:
Follow Ellie on Twitter:
Ellie’s Twitter Account
Follow Ellie on Facebook:
Ellie’s Facebook Page