Get to know Geoff Roes
- Birth Date:
April 14, 1976
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
Juneau, AK (May-Aug) & Nederland, CO (Sept-April)
- Primary Race Distance:
50k and up.
- Other hobbies or sports:
Snowshoeing, XC skiing, Mountain Biking, Bike Touring, Cooking, Writing.
- What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the [ trail, hill, on long runs]?
Montrail Mountain Masochist, MHW Effusion Jacket, MHW Fluid Race Vest, MHW Way Too Cool tops.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
Came to Ultrarunning on my own. It just sounded fun to try to run a 50k.
- What inspires you?
I’m most inspired by getting out in the mountains and exploring new places.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Try to enjoy every run you go out on. If you’re not enjoying the running that your doing, try some new things until you are.
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Seeing friends, family, and other racers at the finish… and drinking a beer.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I’m one of the lucky few in the sport whose training is my“real job.”
- In 10 years I hope to be…
Getting as much satisfaction out of my life as I am now.
- Six-word bio:
Living for Now. Happy and easy.
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Have never, and likely will never sing karaoke
- What music gets you fired up?
I don’t listen to music to get fired up. The music I do listen to tends to be music which has more of the opposite effect, keeping me calm and mellow, which I think is a lot more beneficial in ultrarunning, a sport that requires so much patience and ability to take things as they come.
- Iditarod Trail Invitational – Feb 26, 2012 – Alaska – 1st place in foot division
- UROC 100k – Sept 24, 2011 – Virginia – 1st place.
- Chuckanut 50k – March 19, 2011 – Washington – 1st place; course record
- Crow Pass Crossing – July 24, 2010 – Alaska – 1st place; course record
- Western States 100 – June 26, 2010 – California – 1st place; course record
- Mountain Masochist 50 – Nov 7, 2009 – Virginia – 1st place; course record
- Wasatch 100 – Sept 11, 2009 – Utah – 1st place; course record
Little Su 50k – Feb 2006 – Alaska – 1st place; First ultramarathon
Existing Course Records:
- Susitna 100
- Resurrection Pass 50
- Resurrection Pass 100
- Crow Pass Crossing
- Wasatch 100
- Mountain Masochist 50
- North Face Endurance Challenge 50 – Bear Mountain
- Run Rabbit Run 50
- Chuckanut 50k
- DRTE 100
- UROC 100k
Western States 100
- 2011 – Journey Films – Unbreakable
- 2011 – Joel Wolpert for Running Times – Slogging To The Top
Catch Up With Geoff On:
Follow Geoff on Twitter:
Geoof’s Twitter Account
Follow Geoff on Facebook:
Geoof’s Facebook Page
Follow Geoff on YouTube:
Geoof’s YouTube Channel