I grew up skiing in Rossland, BC and now call Whistler my home. After ski racing until age 12, freeskiing occupied my weekends and any chance I could get out there to the point of skipping school. My friends and I started creating ski videos for school projects and since then my goal was to become a professional freeskier and work with companies like MSP. I started with Big Mountain competitions and with good results on the IFSA tour, I acquired sponsors and a little bit of money to film in and around Whistler with Theory-3 Media. Continuing to compete and film my sponsors became greater and all of a sudden I had the opportunity to film with Matchstick in 2007. Since then I have dedicated my seasons to creating great Matchstick segments and shooting as many photos as possible. My passion is being out in the mountains, exploring new zones and skiing as many new lines as possible.
Get to know James Heim
- Birth Date:
March 9, 1982
- Place of Birth:
Rossland, British Columbia
- Current Home town:
- Primary Sport:
- Specialties within your sport:
Big Mountain – Primarily filming/shooting photos in the backcountry
- Other hobbies or sports:
Mountain Biking(XC and Downhill), Running, Climbing, Fishing, Hunting, I’ll try anything that sounds like a good time!!!
- My favorite Mountain Hardwear products:
Whole Lotta Jacket, Snowpocalypse pant, Bazooka Gloves, Stash 28 Backpack. I have been using this gear on and off the resort every day.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
I grew up skiing in Rossland, BC and most kids played hockey but my Dad wanted to ski so I started skiing at the age of 3.
- What inspires you?
I love waking up and trying to push myself physically and challenging my skills at any sport. The opportunity for a challenge really gets me fired up.
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
Mainly my friends have been my largest source of inspiration. Over the years I pushed myself as much or more going out with buddies as I have in competition or filming.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to skiing today?
You can’t get hurt in the air!!!
- What is your favorite pre-filming meal?
Nothing better than a Smoothie in the morning before a big day.
- In 10 years I hope to be…
Still shredding as hard as I am now…
- Six-word bio – In exactly six words summarize yourself
“Sleep ski eat, sleep ski eat”
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
If I am singing karaoke, I will probably not remember the song in the morning and at the time I probably was the best singer in the world…
- If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Superman, only Kryptonite can bring him down
- 2011 Matchstick Productions – Attack of La Nina
- 2011 Sherpas – All I Can
- 2010 Matchstick Productions – The Way I See It
- 2009 Warner Bros. Picture – Inception, Stunt Skiing
- 2009 Matchstick Productions – In Deep
- 2008 Matchstick Productions – Claim
- 2007 Matchstick Productions – Seven Sunny Days
- 2007 Theory-3 Media – PNW
- 2006 Theory-3 Media – Photoplay
- 2006 Wink Inc. – Respect
- 2005 Theory-3 Media – Safety Meeting
Catch up with James on:
Follow James on Facebook:
James’ Facebook Page
Follow James on Twitter:
James’ Twitter Account
Follow James on YouTube:
James’ YouTube Channel