Get to know Max King
- Birth Date:
February 24, 1980
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
- Primary Race Distance:
Hmm, 3k to 50 mile. What’s primary mean anyway?
- Other hobbies or sports:
Shoes, running up hills, skiing, mountain biking.
- What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the [ trail, hill, on long runs]?
Rogue Racers, Effusion Tights, Geist Jacket, Wicked Lite L/S, Power Stretch Glove. If it’s nice then the Ultra Refueler Shorts and Way2Cool shirt.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
I wasn’t always a “team player” and I was terrible at ball sports. I used to crush the other kids in the PE mile though so I went out for track in 7th grade.
- What inspires you?
Lots of things: A cold stormy run through deep forest on a flowing single track trail, seeing someone else make a huge breakthrough after months or years of hard training, or just the pre-race adrenaline that comes when all the best racers toe the line.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
It’s all about having fun and working hard. There are no special secrets to anyone’s running success, it’s all hard work.
- What’s your favorite pre race meal?
A Hammer Bar or oatmeal.
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Eating, I like to eat. A lot. It might not show but I run to eat and I eat to run.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I quit my real job.
- Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Sure, but I can’t tell you or it would jinx my superstitions.
- In 10 years I hope to be…
Doing the same thing I’m doing today. I envy those guys that are still improving at 40+ and hope that I’ll be doing the same.
- Six-word bio:
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
If I could even sing, it would be: Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- What music gets you fired up?
- If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Wolverine, he’s just plain bad ass. And yes, I’m a comic book geek.
- Xterra Trail Running World Championship 1st Dec 2011
- Xterra Trail Running National Championships 1st Sept 2011
- USATF National 50k Trail Championships 1st Sept 2011
- IAAF World Mtn Running Championships 1st Sept 2011
- Transrockies 6-day Stage Race 2nd Aug 2011
- USATF Mtn Running Championships 1st June 2011
- USATF Half Marathon Trail Championships 1st June 2011
- USATF National Trail Marathon Championships 1st Nov 2010
- World Mtn Running Championships 16th Sept 2010
- Transrockies 6-Day Stage Race 1st Partner w/ Andy Martin Aug 2010
- USATF Trail Half Marathon National Championships 1st June 2010
- American River 50miler 3rd 6:01 Apr 2010
- Way Too Cool 50k 2nd Mar 2010
- World Xterra Trail Running Championships 1st Dec 2009
- USATF Trail Marathon National Championships 1st Nov 2009
- US Xterra Trail Running Championships 1st Oct 2009
- American River 50miler 1st 6:04 Apr 2009
- World Xterra Trail Running Championships 1st Dec 2008
- US Xterra Trail Running Championships 1st Oct 2008
- Transrockies 6-Day Stage Race 1st Partner w/ Erik Skaggs Aug 2008
- Siskiyou Outback 50k 1st 3:42 Jul 2008
Xterra World Championships 1st Dec 2010
Track, Road, and XC Running :
- Olympic Trials Marathon 2:14:36 19th Jan 2012
- London Marathon Pacer 2:13 pace/ 20 miles Apr 2011
- World XC Championships 40th Mar 2011
- USATF XC National Championships 7th Jan 2011
- Baltimore Marathon 2:15:34 6th Oct 2010
- NYC Marathon 2:19 Nov 2009
- World Championships XC Team Member 39th Mar 2009
- USA XC National Championships 9th Feb 2009
- Olympic Trials Steeplechase Qualifier Jul 2008
- World Championships XC Team Member Mar 2008
- 7th Place USA XC National Championships Feb 2008
- 8th Place USA Track Championships 3000m Steeple Jun 2007
- 6th Place USATF 8K Championships Mar 2007
- World Championships Road Running Team Member Oct 2006
- 9th Place USATF 5K Championships Sep 2006
- World Championships XC Team Member Mar 2006
- 3rd Place USA XC National Championships Feb 2006
- 3rd Houston Half Marathon 1:03:07 Jan 2006
- 3rd Place USA Club National Championships Nov 2005
- 5th Place USA T&F Championships Steeplechase 8:33 Jun 2005
- 5th Place USA 8K National Championships 23:07 Mar 2005
- 11th Place USA XC National Championships Long Course Feb 2005
- 12th Place USA XC National Championships Short Course Feb 2005
- 10th Place XC Club National Championships Dec 2004
- 2nd Place Bend Marathon 2:32:33 Oct 2004
- Marathon 2:14:34
- Half Marathon 1:03:07
- 3000m Steeplechase 8:31
- 10k road 29:01
- 8k Road 22:57
- 5k Road 14:02
Catch Up With Max On: