Get to know Megan Lizotte
- Birth Date:
December 10, 1983
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
- Primary Race Distance:
- Other hobbies or sports:
Cooking, traveling, shopping, Nordic skiing, hiking, camping and writing.
- What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the [ trail, hill, on long runs]?
I’m pretty sure I have the Women’s Butter Zippit Hoody in every color! It’s the perfect weight for cooler weather running. The material is unbelievably soft, antimicrobial and super cute! For bottoms, I’m always wearing either the Ultrapacer Shorts or my Mighty Power Capris—they’re so comfy, I would sleep in them if you made me! I love the Rogue Fly—best light-weight trail racing shoe that’s supportive enough for the rockiest of trails.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
I was born into a running lifestyle. My parents are both runners and I grew up watching my dad compete at local races. In fact, most of our family vacations were dictated by where he was racing. My dad has such an infectious passion for the sport which made running appealing to me. He never made me run, I just wanted it for myself because I saw how much joy it brought to his life.
- What inspires you?
I live in the most beautiful place—hard not to be inspired when you’re surrounded by giant mountains, wild flowers and blue skies!
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
My dad has been my biggest inspiration for my running career. I’ve also always looked up to Suzy Favor-Hamilton, Magdalena Lowey-Boulet, Paula Radcliffe and Katherine Switzer.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Well I would of course recommend that all beginners hire me as their coach! Stick with it! Running can be uncomfortable in the beginning, but if you give your body 2 weeks of consistent running, it will start to respond positively and you’ll really enjoy it. And eventually become addicted!
- What’s your favorite pre race meal?
Pizza! It’s got a great balance of carbs, fat and protein—gotta fuel up!
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
I always treat myself to a post-run recovery treat! I love drinking a mocha because it’s got a great combination of carbs to help restock glycogen stores, and protein to repair tired muscle fibers. Plus, the caffeine in the coffee optimizes the entire recovery process. Sometimes in the summer I’ll order one and then go sit in the river to ice my legs….hot drink makes it not feel so miserable!
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
Balancing a full-time job and a full-time running career is tough! So I started my own running coaching business (hgrunning.com), which allows me to set my own schedule. I primarily offer online coaching which allows me to work from wherever I am in the world during my busy racing season. I also offer on-site coaching too when I’m in town and available to work with clients. This flexibility allows me to focus my energy on training while also making a living doing something I am passionate about.
- Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
I almost always wear mascara when I race. If you feel like you look good, then you usually feel more confident in yourself!
- In 10 years I hope to be…
A World Champion mountain runner, Olympic marathoner, super cool mom & house flipper (I’ve always wanted to do that!)
- Six-word bio:
I eat hill repeats for breakfast
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
The one time I actually sang karaoke was to “Barbie Girl” by AQUA. ” I wouldn’t exactly say I brought down the house either!
- What music gets you fired up?
I love dance/house and hip hop—totally pumps me up! David Guetta, Daft Punk, Kaskade,Deadmau5, Lupe Fiasco, Calvin Harris, Rhianna, Gaga, Basement Jaxx, Hed Kandi.
- USA Olympic Marathon Trials, January 14, 2012, Houston, TX, 2:44, 75th (pregnant!)
- American Bank 1/2 Marathon, December 10, 2011, Corpus Christi, TX, 1st
- Winter Sun 10k, December 3, 2011, Moab, UT, 1st
- USATF Trail Marathon Championships, November 5, 2011, Lithia Loop-Ashland, OR, 1st
- World Mountain Running Championships, September 11, 2011, Tirana, Albania, 12th
- Sierre Zinal Mountain Race, August 14, 2011, Zinal, Switzerland, 4th
- Mount Sopris Run-Off, July 30, 2011, Carbondale, CO, 1st
- USA Mountain Running Championships, June 26, 2011, Cranmore Hill Climb, North Conway, NH, 4th
- USATF Trail Half Marathon Championships, June 12, 2011, Bend, OR, 3rd
- Spring Run-Off 10k, June 5, 2011, Teva Mountain Games, Vail, CO 3rd
- Vail Pass Half Marathon, June 4, 2011, Teva Mountain Games, Vail, CO 2nd
- USATF 25k, May 14, 2011, Grand Rapids, MI, Fifth Third River Bank Run, 14th
Race for the Cure 5k, July 14, 2011, Aspen, CO, 1st
Other Notable Acheivements:
- First American woman to win Sierre Zinal Mountain Race
- 2x Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier
- 3x World Mountain Running Championships qualifier
- 2011 USATF Trail Running Series Champion
- 2011 USA Trail Marathon Champion
Follow Megan on Twitter:
Megan’s Twitter Account
Follow Megan on Facebook:
Megan’s Facebook Page
Follow Megan’s Coaching on Facebook:
Megan’s Coaching Facebook Page