I’m a Powderwhore, I wake up every day and try to find the best snow to ski. My brother, Jonah, and I run Powderwhore Productions making ski flicks based out of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah. We direct, produce, shoot, ski, travel, edit, market, ship and tour with our films. One day it may be about powder, one day is steeps, just getting out with friends, then a solo mission, followed by getting skunked on a project, X-country cardio with the dog, or creeping around not getting avalanched, nailing a line for film, then a trip to a place you’ve never been, bombing laps at the ski area. I’m in it for the diversity of adventures on skis, the physical challenge and the exploration.
Get to know Noah Howell
- Birth Date:
August 2nd, 1976
- Place of Birth:
Salt Lake City, UT
- Current Home town:
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
- Primary Sport:
- Specialties within your sport:
Ski mountaineering/backcountry, face shots, first descents
- Other hobbies or sports:
Rock climbing, ice climbing, moto adventures, training, trail running
- My favorite Mountain Hardwear products:
Via Rappida 35 Pack, Kelvinator Down Jacket, Bazuka Gloves, Jovian Jacket, Caeleum Dome Beanie, Bokta Pant, Elmoro Long Sleeve Zip T
- How were you introduced to your sport?
A good friend took me to Cardiac Bowl in the Wasatch Mountains on a 2 foot powder day. This was one of my first ski tours and I’ve been reliving that sense of flotation and exploration ever since.
- What inspires you?
The mountains, truth, music, the shower, death, training, rear, sunsets, fight club, challenge
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
Mark Twight, Andrew McLean, Jeremy Nobis, Jesus, Hugo Harrison
- What advice would you give to newcomers to skiing today?
Avalanches can and will kill you! Learn all you can about yourself and your weaknesses. Gain experience from old-timers. Listen to the mountains and obey them. Be patient.
- What is your favorite expedition meal?
Nothing beats the deliciousness of a calorie packed tub of cookie dough for a winter expedition!
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long expedition?
I love a hot shower after weeks on the glacier.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
With Powderwhore Productions I’m able to incorporate my work and play (training). And I’m postponing a “real” job for as long as possible.
- In 10 years I hope to be…
faster, stronger and more wise.
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
- What music gets you fired up?
Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Silent Lucidity by Queensryche, The Dead Weather, Trail of the Dead
- If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Ronald Jeremy Hyatt AKA ‘The Hedgehog”
- Completed all descents from Andrew McLean’s “Chuting Gallery” in 2011.
- First descent of ‘Plinko’ (S6+A) Pfiefferhorn Wasatch, Utah 2010. This line has not been repeated.
- 12 first descents in the remote Revelation Mountains of Alaska in 2010.
- Completed the Kessler 4×4, skiing 4 different routes off Kessler Peak in a day, 14,340ft of climbing/skiing.
- Skied Mount Crosson, AK
- Several first descents in Matanuska Valley, Chugach Range, AK
- All 16 chutes in Wolverine Cirque in one day, Wasatch Mtns, UT
- First descent of “Lone Wolf” couloir Wind River Mts, WY
- Solo Kings Peak in a day, 30 mile roundtrip Uintah Mtns, UT
- First completion of “Supercoaster” a 20 mile ski traverse of the Central Wasatch’s steepest and longest lines with 14K ft gain and descent of Lone Peak (S5), Coalpit (S4), Twin Peaks (S5) and Stairs Gulch (S4) 2008. This has not been repeated.
- Six first ski descents Sam Ford Fjord area, Baffin Island including “Brave New World” (S5) and “Narrow-minded” (S5+)
- Three second ski descents Sam Ford Fjord area, Baffin Island, BC
- Avalanche Gulch route on Mt. Shasta, CA
- Mountaineers Route on Mt. Whitney, CA
- Three top ten finishes in Freeski (Extreme)Telemark Competitions
- Traverse of Classic Haute Route through French and Swiss Alps
- Solo of hogsback route on Mt. Hood, OR
- Solo of Cascade Gulch route on Mount Shasta, CA
- Denali Alaska by ascending the upper west rib and descending the Orient Express(S5-)
- Produced and appeared in the following Powderwhore films; PW05, PW06,
PW07, The Pact, Flakes and Television and Breaking Trail
Catch up with Noah on:
Follow Noah on Facebook:
Noah’s Facebook Page
Follow Noah on YouTube:
Noah’s YouTube Channel
Blogging regularly for: