The biggest thing in the empty desert outside Farmington, New Mexico, where Pat Goodman grew up, was the rugged form of Ship Rock. “Everybody within a hundred miles can see the Ship Rock, which is really the ancient remains of a volcano that towers above the barren New Mexican landscape,” Pat remembers. By the age of 10, Pat knew he wanted to climb it. “Its crumbling fluted walls are shrouded with Navajoland mystique. It was only natural for us to want to want to do it.”
After a studying in Colorado, Goodman went on to spend his early-twenties touring around the American West, seeking an increasingly more challenging diet of boulders and cracks, before migrating East to Boone, North Carolina. Most recently, he’s raised the bar in the southeast for brick-hard, borderline-too-dangerous trad climbing, including Fitzcarraldo (5.13b R), and Jade Rabbit (5.13d/14a R). In between work stints as a custom wood-flooring specialist, Pat finds time to make annual pilgrimages to the mountains to pursue his original passion for adventurous new lines in wild environments.
Get to know Pat Goodman
- Birth Date:
August 1st, 1977
- Place of Birth:
Farmington, New Mexico
- Current Home town:
Fayetteville, West Virginia
- Primary Sport:
- Specialties within your sport:
First ascents, trad climbing, big alpine routes
- Other hobbies or sports:
Mountain biking, trail running, photography and videography
- What are your favorite Mountain Hardwear products?
At the Crag – Piero Pants, Cragger Short Sleeve Polo, Kevalo Full Zip Hoody, Truckery Ball Cap, Splitter 38 Pack.
Alpine – Tanglewood Pant, Power Stretch Tight, Quasar Pant, Quasar Pullover, Nilas Jacket, Monkey Man Light, Elmoro L/S Zip T, Minus One Glove, Dome Perignon Hat, Summit Rocket 30 Pack.
On the Trail – Elmoro T, Refueler Short, Hardwear Stretch Visor.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
I was twelve when my neighbor, who was in high school at the time, needed a “model” for photographs he was using for a school project about rappelling. That afternoon set the hook and soon we were swapping leads on multi-pitch routes on the sandstone cliffs outside Durango, Colorado.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to climbing today?
Dream big, stay focused on personal goals using your youthful energy wisely and never, ever give up because you’re afraid of the unknown.
- What is your favorite expedition meal?
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long expedition?
Homemade Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas and quality time with my lady.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I get up early and go to bed late. I am self-employed so admittedly I have the advantage of creating a comfortable schedule, but it’s still hard to stay focused – ultimately I have to remind myself how incredible and fortunate I am to succeed outside of what most consider “normal” life.
- Six-word bio – In exactly six words summarize yourself
“Modestly narcissistic, compassionate, feisty, clever, ambitious”
- What music gets you fired up?
Flamenco with a side of Electronica.
- NRG Trad Comp / 2010 / New River Gorge, WV / 2nd
- NRG Trad Comp / 05,06,07,08,09 / New River Gorge, WV / 1st
- Boat Rock Bouldering Comp / 2004/ Boat Rock, GA / 3rd
- NRG Bouldering Comp / 2003 / New River Gorge, WV / 2nd
- Sand Rock Bouldering Comp / 2003 / Sand Rock, AL / 3rd
- Rock Rodeo Bouldering Comp / 1996 / Hueco Tanks, TX / 3rd
Other Notable Achievements
- 2011 – Jenga Spur, V+, 5.11+R A.0 (1,050m) – Feta Brakk 5,350m – Charakusa Valley Pakistan. First Ascent with Matt McCormick.
- 2010 – Scavenger, 5.13+ R (30m) – Junyard Wall, WV. First Ascent.
- 2010 – Free Eye, V 5.12+ R (550m) – Mt. Hooker, WY. First Ascent with David Sharratt and Taki Miyamoto.
- 2010 – Scenic Crusie, IV 5.10+, (533m) – Black Canyon, CO. Onsight free solo, 2 hours car-car.
- 2010 – Standard Route, IV, 5.9 A.0 (600m) – Shiprock, NM – 1 hr 4 minutes (solo speed record).
- 2009 – Linville Link Up, 23 miles, 32 pitches (ca960m) – Linville Gorge, NC – 11hr 23 min (solo speed record).
- 2009 – Jade Rabbit, 5.13+/5.14- R (25m) – Moon Rocks, NC. First Ascent.
- 2008 – Indian Beauty Queen, V+ 5.10 A.0 (850m) – Manikaran Spire 5,394m – Parvati Valley, India – First Ascent with Ben Ditto, Freddie Wilkinson and Janet Bergman.
- 2008 – The Real Lunar Eclipse, 5.14 R (25m) – Moon Rocks, NC.
- 2007 – P.K.D, IV 5.9+ (550m) – Goya Peak 5,300m – Miyar Valley, India. First Ascent (solo).
- 2005 – North West Butt, 5.7 (900m) – Jiang Jun Fang 5,202m – Bipeng Valley, China. First Ascent (unroped) with Tommy Chandler.
- 2004 – The Dark Side, IV 5.11 R (300m) – Vampire Spire, North West Territories, Canada. First Ascent with Hank Jones.
- 2003 – You Enjoy Myself, V 5.12 (550m) – The Fortress, North West Territories, Canada. First Ascent with Hank Jones.
- 2001 – Poop Chute, 5.11 A.3 (215m) – Arch Canyon, UT. First Ascent with Justin Carlton.
- 2011 – Chuck Fryberger Films – The Scene
- 2011 – Thomas C Webb Films – Canyonlands
- 2008 – LVM – Summer Ascents
- 2004 – Kinetiscape Films – 3 the Hard Way
- 2004 – Tendon Productions/Fryberger Films – A Colorado Daydream
- 2003 – Tendon Productions – Solutions
Catch up with Pat on:
Follow Pat on Facebook:
Pat’s Facebook Page
Follow Pat on Vimeo:
Pat’s Vimeo Account