Mountain guide from Zermatt, Switzerland, in his first year on the tour, claimed 1st in the Freeride World Tour, Sochi. He took 13th in Big Mountain Fieberbrunn, Austria. Then in front of 7000 spectators, a (very) steep 600-meter face with technically advanced lines, smart and tactical decisions he secured 5th place in the Nissan Xtreme Verbier 2011 stage for Samuel, resulting in a place at the podium as runner-up World Champion.
Get to know Samuel Anthamatten
- Birth Date:
September 28th, 1986
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
- Primary Sport:
- Other hobbies or sports:
I love almost every sport.
- My favorite Mountain Hardwear products:
Alakazam Jacket, Snowpocalypse Pants
- How were you introduced to your sport?
My Brother started climbing behind our parents house. He needed somebody to belay him and that was my start. After a few years we where both in the Swiss Climbing National Team. We grew up in Zermatt, where skiing is the most normal thing you do in winter. So skiing was a sport we started as little kids.
- What inspires you?
All the great moments that i have the pleasure to enjoy with friends in the Mountains. I love to explore new lines, new ascents and the unknown spots in the Mountains around the World.
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
Walter Bonatti, Silvan Saudan, Henrik Winsted, my Brothers
- What advice would you give to newcomers to skiing today?
The most important is to have fun. You will have so many great moments if you respect the nature and your limits.
- What is your favorite expedition / pre-race meal?
Salmon steak with Rice and Spinach, after that meal I can keep on going forever!
- What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long expedition/ race?
Sit down in the warm sun and enjoy a good coffee.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
As a mountain guide and a pro skier, every training brings me further on both sides. The difficult thing is to have enough rest days. Without those rest days you lose motivation, your body and your mind are getting tired and finally you injure yourself.
- In 10 years I hope to be…
Doing exactly what I do now!
- Six-word bio – In exactly six words summarize yourself
Calm, autochthonous, and sometimes completely crazy
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Led Zeppelin, D`your Mak`er , there aren’t many words in it. I am a really bad singer!
- What music gets you fired up?
Wolfmother, Led Zeppelin, Rammstein, Stiller Has…
- Swatch Freeride World Tour 2012 – 7th Place Overall
- Courmayeur (I) Swatch Freeride World Tour 2012 – 3rd Place
- Swatch Freeride World Tour 2011 – 2nd Place Overall
- Kirkwood (CA) Freeride World Tour 2011 – 2nd Place
- Sotchi (RU) Freeride World Tour 2011 – 1st Place
Fist Ascents / Descents
- Jasemba 7350m, Nepal, First ascent of the Southface, “Hook or Crock”
Matterhorn Northface, Switzerland, First ascent of the “Anthamatten-Route”
- El Capitan, (CA) 10 Times El Cap in 1month, (West-face, Lurking Fear, Zodiac, Tangerine Trip, Lost in America, North American Wall, Mescalito, Nose, Salathe, Halfdome Regular-Nose Linkup)
- Mount Hunter,Alaska, North Buttres “Moonflower” 36 Hours Roundtrip
- Weisshorn (CH), Southface first descent
- Matterhorn (CH) Eastface skied at 19 years old
- Disneyland 8b, Rawyl flash